Keratin is a fibre made up of proteins which is the fundamental building material of hair in the human body. Although, insoluble in water and organic solvents, this proteinaceous tissue is prone to getting damaged due to prolonged exposure to stress and everyday pollution.
And that is where like a knight in shining armour comes in keratin treatment, also known as the ‘Brazilian Blowout’ ! Keratin treatment has the ability to reduce your blow-dry time by 50%. It will make your hair smooth, frizz free, shiny and manageable.
It is done by applying on your tresses excessive keratin induced agents which will straighten your hair. Then, the keratin is locked into the hair with the help of a heated flat iron.
Everything on earth has both pros and cons, and obviously keratin treatments have the same too! So read on to know both the good as well as the bad side of this critically acclaimed chemical treatment of hair.
Pros of Keratin Hair Smoothing Treatment
- This treatment is not gender specific and can be done for both men as well as women.
- It lends a shiny and lustrous look to the hair and makes it super silky.
- It is easy to maintain and to style in different patterns, and doesn’t need any kind of gel or spray to keep the hair strands in place.
- There is no proven side effects.
Cons of Keratin Hair Smoothing Treatment
- The fact that you cannot wash your hair for 72 hours straight after having the treatment may create inconvenience in your day to day life.
- Although no proven side effects, this treatment involves formaldehyde, the excess usage of which may lead to nose bleeding and respiratory problems for those who are exposed to it regularly.
- In some cases, it may cause allergic reactions like itching and watery eyes. It is best for pregnant women to avoid it.
- This chemical hair treatment is quite highly priced.
So, before you head along in your pursuit for smoother and better hair, analyzing the pros and cons of these treatments is necessary before you make any long commitment in the salon! But, we all love straight and fuzz free hair. So, go ahead girls pamper yourself and look gorgeous.